Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Connecticut Immigration

American immigration law has changed significantly in recent years. Today’s political climate is not always pro-immigration—rules are complex for legally entering the country. It is more important than ever to hire counsel if you seek U.S. citizenship or want to live and work in the country for a short or long period of time.

Can You DIY the Immigration Process?

In most cases, you probably cannot afford to gamble with your legal status. The risks are simply too great. It is hard to navigate the highly technical immigration law maze, with its red tape and tight deadlines. It is important to file the right forms with the right information the first time.

How Can a Local Immigration Lawyer Help Me?

Experienced local immigration counselors can help you with these types of cases:

  • Family-based visas and permanent residency
  • Employment-based visas and permanent residency
  • Authorization for employment
  • Fiance visas
  • Green cards
  • Citizenship
  • Naturalization
  • Consular processing
  • Deportation challenges
  • I-130 Petitions
  • Litigation involving Board of Immigration Appeals
  • Litigation representation in Immigration Court
  • Applications for Status Adjustment
  • Inadmissibility Waivers
  • Program Electronic Review Management (PERM)

What Is the Dream Act?

On June 15, 2012, the Obama Administration introduced a new policy for young undocumented immigrants that provides help under the Dream Act. The Dream Act is a result of bipartisan legislation.

What Does the Act Do?

The Act helps certain young undocumented residents of the U.S. obtain immunity from deportation under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. This program is helpful because it:

  • Stops deportation if a young person is facing it, and allows standing deportation orders to be re-opened in certain cases.
  • Provides for a temporary two-year relief period that can possibly be extended.
  • Allows a young person to get a work permit or Employment Authorization Card.

Who Is Protected Under the Act?

To be eligible for relief under the Act, you must:

  • Have come to the U.S. when you were 15 years or younger.
  • Be living in the U.S. for a continuous period for at least five years as of June 15, 2012.
  • Have been in the U.S. on June 15, 2012.
  • Be in school, have graduated from high school, have a GED, or be an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed Forces.
  • Have no conviction for a felony, major misdemeanor, multiple misdemeanors, and do not present a security or safety threat.
  • Be 29 years or younger.

Contact a Connecticut Immigration Advocate Today

Immigration attorneys perform key legal services for you and your family in personal and work situations. Don’t struggle with immigration alone. Call now to speak with a local immigration advocate at 877-913-7222.