Ohio DUI or DWI
In Ohio, driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) are serious crimes. A conviction can bring severe short- and long-term impacts. You may face jail, fines, or other punishments. And you could lose your driving privileges. If you are facing a DUI, you may feel panicked. Whether it is your first or a repeat charge, an Ohio DWI lawyer can help you mount a strong defense.
What Can an Ohio DUI Attorney Do for Me?
The short answer is a great deal. DUI attorneys are dedicated to defending alleged drunk drivers. They often have key objectives in mind. Tasks may include:
- Examining case evidence
- Providing the optimal potential for avoiding DUI conviction
- Analyzing accuracy of a blood or breath test
- Evaluating whether a traffic stop was legal
- Determining whether field sobriety tests were done properly
- Reviewing whether constitutional rights were adequately explained
What Are the Penalties for Operating a Vehicle Under the Influence in Ohio?
Factors affecting OVI charges in Ohio include:
- Whether you have any prior OVI convictions in Ohio
- Whether you were in an accident or speeding while intoxicated
- Whether there was a child in the car with you while you were intoxicated
- Whether your BAC was excessively high
- Whether you were driving with a suspended license
- Fines of between $200 and $10,000
- Jail time
- Temporary suspension of your Ohio driver's license
In addition, your motor vehicle insurance rates will almost certainly increase following an Ohio OVI conviction.
If you have been charged with operating a vehicle under the influence in Ohio, your Ohio OVI lawyer can help you attempt to negotiate lesser charges, defend you in court, and appeal a conviction if necessary.
What Is an Interlock Device?
An interlock device attaches to a car’s ignition. It can detect alcohol in a person’s breath. A driver must breathe into it to start the car. If it detects alcohol, the car will not start. The court may require a driver to use an interlock device as a form of punishment. Or it may be mandated to prevent a repeat incident. Local vendors sell the interlock device. Costs for installation and maintenance vary. People often complain about the inconvenience and social stigma of having the devices in their vehicles.
Locate a Local Ohio DUI Attorney Today
Criminal law and DWI lawyers work hard for clients just like you every day. They have the legal skill set, knowledge, relationships, reputation, training, and experience to build winning defenses. They may exploit weaknesses in police testing equipment, methods, and conditions. Or they may take other approaches to defend your driving privileges, personal records, and liberties. Call today to speak with a driving under the influence attorney in Ohio at 877-913-7222.
Connect with an Attorney nowCall 877.913.7222