Massachusetts DUI & DWI
Driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) are serious criminal offenses. A conviction could affect your career, insurance, reputation, and personal liberties. You may face jail, fines, or other punishments. Whether you are a first-time or repeat offender, a Massachusetts DUI lawyer can help.
Impacts of a Massachusetts DWI Conviction
Many DWI defendants do not realize that a drunk driving conviction has lasting impacts:
- Auto insurance—Your rates will likely go up. Or your policy could be canceled. "High risk" plans may be all that you can get. And the premiums will be high.
- Employment—Many employers require a clean driving record. This is especially likely if driving is a part of the job. A DUI or DWI could impede your chances of getting or keeping a job.
- Driving privileges—Your license could be suspended or revoked. Reinstatement fees are high.
- Credit—A conviction could lower your credit rating. You may have trouble getting a loan, credit, or a mortgage. Some landlords conduct background searches, as well.
- Personal freedoms—A drunk driving conviction could jeopardize your ability to obtain or own a firearm. And you may not be able to travel outside of the country.
- Health insurance—Your premiums may rise.
Building Blocks of a DUI Defense
All DUI cases vary. And so should each DUI defense. Several key factors may come into play, such as:
- Past criminal history
- Past DUI offenses
- Specific occurrences
- Underlying facts
- Field sobriety test results
- Chemical, blood, breath test results
- Severity of property damage
- Severity of injuries
- Location of accident/incident
- Other parties involved in accident
- Driver's license status
It is prudent to consult with a criminal defense attorney in Massachusetts who has in-depth knowledge and regular practice in the DWI field.
Locate a Local DWI Attorney Today
DUI lawyers in Massachusetts know how to build strong defenses. They may hone in on flaws in police testing equipment, conditions, and methods. Or they may question police procedures. Your driving privileges, personal records, and freedoms are at stake. Call now to speak with a driving under the influence lawyer in Massachusetts at 877-913-7222.