Illinois DUI & DWI
Driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Illinois are serious offenses that put others in harm’s way due to the negligence of an allegedly drunk driver. Long-term negative impacts on employment, insurance, education, and personal freedoms may result. Jail, convictions, fines, suspensions, and revocations of driving privileges may happen. Whether you are a first-time or multiple offender, drunk driving charges should not be taken lightly. Start early and build an aggressive legal defense with guidance of an Illinois DWI lawyer who can make a big difference in your case.
What Can the Police Do When They Pull Me Over?
Illinois’ strict drunk driving laws make it easy for police to conduct traffic stops on streets and highways. Police can pull drivers over based upon “reasonable articulable suspicion” that a driver has committed a crime, such as drunk driving. Police can legally:
- Pull a driver over
- Ask questions
- Observe and evaluate the driver
- Ask the driver to take field sobriety and chemical tests
Much can happen before a pulled-over driver is even advised of her constitutional rights. Few Illinois drivers realize they can refuse to answer questions, may calmly and patiently sit in their cars, politely remain silent, and tell the officer to either arrest them or let them leave.
What Can an Experienced Illinois DUI Attorney Do for Me?
The short answer: lots. Skilled, experienced attorneys in the DUI and DWI field, who do not merely dabble occasionally in the area as general practitioners with limited in-depth knowledge, are able to accomplish key goals in defending your case and hopefully reduce penalties. They will:
- Evaluate the legality of your traffic stop by police
- Determine whether your field sobriety tests were administered properly
- Analyze scientific accuracy of your blood test
- Analyze scientific accuracy of your breath test
- Analyze scientific accuracy of any chemical testing
- Examine your case’s evidence closely
- Retain qualified expert witnesses to build a strong defense and attack prosecution’s case
- Provide you with the best chance of avoiding DUI or DWI conviction
- Review whether your rights were fully explained
Contact a Local Illinois DUI Attorney Today
DWI lawyers in Illinois know exactly how to build a prevailing defense for their clients accused of drunk driving. They attack the police’s testing equipment, conditions, and methods, as well as law enforcement procedures, policies, and protocols to defend a client’s freedom. They protect your ability to drive and the personal records needed for work, education, insurance, and finances. Call today to talk with an Illinois-based DUI attorney at 877-913-7222.