Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Washington, D.C., DUI Attorney
If you have been arrested for driving drunk in the District of Columbia, you could be facing serious fines, penalties and even jail time. You will need to find a Washington, D.C., DUI attorney to represent you.
If you have never been arrested for DUI before, you should plan to meet with potential attorneys to find the best one to hire. One of the best ways to find the right lawyer is by asking a lot of questions during the initial consultation, or preliminary meeting. This article will suggest questions that you can ask.
According to Washington, D.C., DUI laws, fines and penalties depend on how many offenses you have committed. In D.C., there are different categories for drunk driving. You'll want to find an attorney who is familiar with all aspects of Washington, D.C.'s drunk driving laws, but particularly familiar with the sections that apply to your case.
Questions to Ask About a Washington, D.C., DUI Attorney's Background
With Washington, D.C., DWI and DUI cases, you need a lawyer with the right background and experience to represent you in court. You should ask every attorney you meet with:
- Where did you go to law school?
- How many DUI cases like mine have you handled, and how did those cases turn out?
- Do you spend most of your time on DUI cases, or do you also practice in other areas of the law?
- How often have you defended clients in the court where I will appear?
- Do you know the prosecutors and the judge who may be involved?
- Are you a member of the District of Columbia Bar or any other bar associations or professional organizations?
DUI Case Management
There are different factors a judge may consider in your drunk driving case, so you need to ask each lawyer you meet with about a strategy for your situation. Questions you should ask include:
- Are you able to you represent me right now?
- How much would it cost for you handle my case?
- What will happen during my case?
- Will you personally represent me, or will others at the firm be working on my case?
- Can I meet everyone who is involved?
- Who will be with me in court?
- When I have questions, whom do I contact?
- What is the best way to reach you, and how long will it take you to respond?
Money is also probably a consideration, so you need to ask each Washington, D.C., DUI attorney you meet how they charge for their legal services and what their fees are. Be sure to ask:
- Do you bill by the hour? If so, what is your hourly rate?
- Will you take my case for a flat fee?
- If so, what is that fee?
- Do your fees include court costs, filing fees and other expenses, or are those extra?
- How often do you expect to be paid?
- How much do I need to pay up front, as a retainer?
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Hiring a Washington, D.C., Drunk Driving Lawyer
After you have had initial consultations with Washington, D.C., DUI attorneys, you can decide which one will be the best one to hire. To do so, you have to ask yourself a few questions:
- Whom do I trust to represent me?
- Who has the most experience?
- Who has reasonable rates?
- Whom do I have a good feeling about?
- If I’m still not sure, what do the references say?
You are about to make an important decision, so be sure to ask Washington, D.C., DUI attorneys a lot of questions.