Washington D.C. DUI & DWI
Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious criminal offense. You may face jail, fines, and loss of driving privileges. Whether you are a first-time or repeat offender, a D.C. DUI attorney can help mount a strong defense.
What Should I Do If Pulled Over in D.C.?
If you are pulled over in a traffic stop in D.C., you should:
- Remain calm.
- Be polite.
- If it is dark, use your dome or overhead light.
- Keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain view.
- Do not argue with the police.
- Put the cop at ease. He or she is on high alert in such traffic stop encounters.
- Have your registration, proof of insurance, and driver’s license quickly accessible.
- Convey that you are in control. Respect the officer and his or her authority, and he or she may return the behavior in kind to you.
There are some things not to do in traffic stops, as well:
- Do not discuss anything other than your personal information.
- Do not engage in friendly conversation or idle small talk.
- Realize anything you say may incriminate you.
- Be aware of your basic constitutional rights. It is OK to politely state you are exercising your rights to remain silent and consult counsel.
Additionally, find out what can and cannot be touched in a vehicle search.
If I Get a DUI in D.C., What Should I Do First?
After a D.C. DUI charge, you will likely receive a Notice of Proposed Suspension of your driver's license in the mail. D.C. residents have five days to request a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) hearing to prevent a suspension. Non-residents have 10 days. A DUI lawyer can get to work right away on a defense for your DMV hearing, and also for your later criminal trial.
Contact a Local DUI Lawyer Today
DUI lawyers in D.C. know how to build strong defenses for their clients. They may challenge drunk driving testing equipment, conditions, and methods. The aim is to defend your driving privileges; driving, criminal, insurance, education, and employment records; and personal freedoms. Call now to speak with a D.C.-based DUI attorney at 877-913-7222.
Connect with an Attorney nowCall 877.913.7222