California DUI and DWI
Driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) are criminal offenses in California. They put you and others at serious risk. The stakes are high—property loss, injury, and even death. So these charges are not treated lightly. You may face jail, fines, or other punishments. You could lose your driving privileges. It also can impact your career, insurance, education, and social standing. Whether you are a first-time or repeat offender, a California DWI lawyer can help you mount a strong defense.
Do I Need a DUI Lawyer?
Drunk driving charges can be complex. And so is the job of defending someone accused of drunk driving. A typical DUI case involves many layers of analysis and evidence. A general attorney is unlikely to know the specific nuances of the law that a DWI attorney can leverage on your behalf. A DUI lawyer may:
- Request measurements
- Request maintenance records of the breathalyzer
- Reanalyze blood sample work
California DUI lawyers work hard to:
- Challenge all evidence
- Exploit flaws in the case
- Negotiate penalties and reduce levels
- Hire expert witnesses
- Challenge license suspensions
There are things a driving under the influence attorney can do to improve your case that a general attorney may not realize. Too much is at stake to put your case in the hands of someone who is not familiar with DUI cases.
What Are the Penalties for Driving Under the Influence in California?
Factors affecting DUI charges in California include:
- Whether you have any prior DUI convictions in California
- Whether you were in an accident or speeding while intoxicated
- Whether there was a child in the car with you while you were intoxicated
- Whether your BAC was excessively high
- Whether you were driving with a suspended license
If convicted of DUI in California, you may face penalties including:
- Four-month suspension of your California driver's license if it was your first offense
- One-year suspension of your California driver's license if it was your second or subsequent offense within 10 years
- A fine of $360 to $1,000, plus court costs and other fees
- DUI counseling
In addition, your motor vehicle insurance rates will almost certainly increase following a California DUI conviction.
If you have been charged with driving under the influence in California, your California DUI lawyer can help you attempt to negotiate lesser charges, defend you in court, and appeal a conviction if necessary.
Contact a Local DWI Lawyer Today
Driving while intoxicated attorneys in California know how to build bold defenses. They may challenge testing equipment, conditions, and methods. Or they may call into question law enforcement procedures. Such tactics can help protect your driving privileges; driving, criminal, and employment records; and personal freedoms. Call now to speak with a California DUI lawyer at 877-913-7222.