New York Dog Bites & Animal Attacks
Not all animal encounters are friendly. If you have been attacked by someone’s dog in New York, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. A dog bites attorney can help. The sooner you seek legal counsel, the faster you can begin to build your case.
How Serious Are Dog Bites?
Dog bites cause serious physical and emotional wounds:
- Sharp canine teeth can pierce skin and other body tissues.
- Wounds can become infected.
- In some cases, there may be a threat of rabies.
- If your injuries are severe, you may be unable to work.
- You may need help with everyday tasks.
- You may experience emotional trauma.
Getting prompt medical care should be your highest priority. Consulting with a New York lawyer and reporting the dog bite should be your next move.
What Does New York Law Say About Dog Bites?
Most states fall into two basic categories when it comes to dog bite laws:
- Strict liability: States with strict liability dog bite statutes hold dog owners fully responsible for injuries their animals cause. It does not matter if the dog had ever behaved violently in the past.
- The "one-bite" rule: This rule holds dog owners liable only if their dogs had a known propensity for violence. The most obvious example would be that the dog had bitten someone before. Thus, they are off the hook for “one bite.”
New York law uses a combination of these two approaches. Owners are strictly liable for medical costs to treat injuries their dogs cause. But they are only liable for other damages if their dogs had a known propensity for violence. Attorneys in New York are well versed in dog bite laws and can help you collect the maximum award in your case.
Find out more about animal bite monitoring in New York City.
Locate a Local New York Dog Bites Attorney
Have you been the victim of a dog bite? If so, you may be due compensation for your medical bills and other losses. Get help from a legal pro who knows how dog bite laws work in your state. Call now to speak with a New York animal attacks attorney at 877-913-7222.