Massachusetts Dog Bites & Animal Attacks
Dog bites can cause serious trauma. Sharp canine teeth can tear through clothing, skin, muscle, and other tissues. Your injuries can linger and become infected. In some cases, there may even be a threat of rabies. As you recover, you may need to take time off from work or seek help for everyday tasks. You also may suffer emotional distress. In Massachusetts, the law is on your side. A dog attacks lawyer can help you recover your losses.
Dog Bite Liability in Massachusetts
Massachusetts law holds dog owners strictly liable for injuries their animals cause others. It does not matter if the dog has a history of violent behavior. There are, however, a few caveats:
- The victim must have legally been on the premises at the time of the attack—not trespassing.
- The victim must not have been in the act of committing a crime when the incident occurred.
- The victim must not have provoked the attack through teasing or tormenting the dog.
A Massachusetts dog attack lawyer can advise on your specific situation. The sooner you act, the better. Find out more information on how to hire a dog attack attorney in your area.
Building Your Case
Your lawyer will want to gather as much evidence as possible to build your case. In the chaos of the moment, it can be easy to overlook important details. That is why it is so important to consult with an animal bite lawyer as soon as possible. Key items may include:
- Photos of your injuries taken soon after the attack
- Medical records of your injuries and treatment
- Copies of your medical bills
- Damaged items, such as torn clothing or shoes
- Paycheck stubs or payroll records if you are trying to recover lost wages
- Other documents as needed
You will also need to give a deposition. This is a sworn statement you give under oath, explaining what happened.
Locate a Local Massachusetts Dog Bites Attorney
Have you been bitten by a dog in Massachusetts? You may have grounds for a lawsuit. Call now to speak with a Massachusetts animal attacks attorney at 877-913-7222.