Kansas Dog Bites & Animal Attacks
While dog bite laws vary by state, a certain degree of owner responsibility is assumed nationwide. If you have been bitten by a dog in Kansas, it is a wise move to partner with a dog bite lawyer who is familiar with animal laws in that state. He or she can review your case and advise on the best legal action to take.
Kansas Dog Bite Laws
Kansas is one of many states that still uses the "one-bite" rule. This means that a dog owner is only liable for injuries if he or she had reason to believe the dog might hurt someone. Kansas dog bite victims must prove that:
- The dog had a propensity for vicious behavior. The most obvious example would be that the dog had bitten someone before.
- The owner knew of this propensity.
Kansas law also weighs comparative fault in these cases. If a dog bite victim was at all at fault for the attack, it can impact the amount of the award. A dog bite attorney in Kansas can help you mount a strong case.
How Serious Are Dog Bites?
Dog bites cause serious injuries:
- Sharp canine teeth can pierce skin, muscle, and other tissues—and even tear through clothing or shoes.
- Wounds can become infected.
- Depending on your injuries, you may have to take time off from work.
- You may need help for everyday chores and errands you are unable to perform while you recover.
- In some cases, there may even be a threat of rabies.
- You may have emotional trauma.
Kansas animal attack attorneys help people with cases such as these every day. They can help you negotiate a fair settlement or put forth a strong case in court.
Locate a Local Kansas Animal Attack Attorney
If you have been injured by someone’s dog, you may be due compensation for your medical bills and other losses. The sooner you act, the better. Call now to speak with a Kansas dog bites lawyer at 877-913-7222.