Dog Bites & Animal Attacks
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
How Much Can You Receive in Dog Bite Settlements?
When someone else's dog bites you, the injuries can take a physical, emotional, and financial toll. Depending on dog-bite laws in your state, you may be entitled to compensation from the dog's owner or his or her insurance company. But no two dog bite settlements are the same, and the exact amount of money you receive will vary depending on a number of factors.
An experienced dog bite attorney will be familiar with average dog bite settlement amounts in your area and can help you evaluate whether a settlement offer is reasonable or if it makes more sense to go to trial.
Factors Affecting Dog Bite Settlements
State personal injury laws give dog bite victims the right to collect damages, or financial compensation, for injuries they suffer. A number of factors can be included in dog bite settlement calculations:
- Past, present, and future medical bills for treatment related to your dog bite injuries
- The repair or replacement of property (such as clothing) that was damaged or destroyed as a result of the bite
- Lost wages for time off from work (including time spent going to doctor's appointments and physical therapy)
- The cost of hiring someone to do household chores that you're unable to do because of your injury
- Permanent disability and disfigurement stemming from the dog bite
- Emotional distress stemming from the dog bite
- Any other costs you've incurred because of the dog bite
No two dog bite settlements are the same because no two dog bites are the same. For example, if a dog bit you and the bite required hundreds of stitches and several weeks off work, you would deserve a bigger settlement than someone whose bite only required a few stitches and no time off work.
An experienced dog bite lawyer can advise you on what size settlement is realistic and can help you negotiate that settlement or take the dog owner to court.