Delaware Dog Bites & Animal Attacks
They say that dogs are "man's best friend." But if you have been bitten by one, you may have another opinion. Animal bites can cause serious injuries, and they can be traumatic. That is why it is so important to consult with a Delaware animal attack lawyer. You may be due compensation for your medical bills or other losses.
Dog Bite Laws in Delaware
Delaware dog bite laws mandate that a dog's owner is liable for any damages the dog causes another person. This includes injury, death, or property loss or damage. There are some exceptions, however. The owner may not be liable if the victim was:
- Trespassing on the owner’s property
- Committing a criminal offense on the property
- Committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense against any person
- Provoking, teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog
A dog bite lawyer can help determine if you have grounds for a lawsuit.
What to Expect in a Dog Bite Lawsuit
If you decide to file for damages, the first step will be to collect evidence. Your attorney may want to include:
- Photographs of your injuries
- Any items damaged in the attack, such as clothing or shoes that may have been torn or bitten through
- Copies of your medical records
- Copies of your medical bills
You may also need to give a deposition. This is a statement you give, under oath, detailing what happened. You also may be asked about personal details.
Locate a Local Delaware Dog Attack Attorney
Dog bites are no different from other personal injuries. If your injury was due to someone else’s fault or negligence, that person owes you the cost of your medical bills and other losses. Talk with an attorney who handles these types of cases every day. You may have grounds to file suit against the dog’s owner. Call now to speak with a Delaware animal bite lawyer at 877-913-7222.