Questions to Ask When Hiring a Seattle Divorce Lawyer
If you’re reading this article, you’ve probably decided that your marriage is unsustainable and you may need the services of a Seattle divorce lawyer. By hiring someone knowledgeable about Seattle divorce law, you’ll position yourself for the best possible outcome.
Interviewing Seattle Divorce Lawyers
Before you hire a divorce lawyer in Seattle or its suburbs ranging from Lynwood to Normandy Park, you’ll want to put him through an interview process. The interview, also called an initial consultation, will help you determine if he is a good fit for you and your case. It also allows the attorney to become familiar with the details of your situation and to decide if he’d like to take your case if given the opportunity.
To prepare for the initial consultation, you should put together a list of questions to ask each divorce lawyer in Seattle that you’re considering. Focus your questions on topics that will help you in the hiring process. And be sure to take notes on the attorneys’ answers. These notes will help you when it comes time to make your hiring decision.
This article will provide you with a list of questions you can ask during your initial consultation. Note, however, that these are just suggestions. You can eliminate any that won’t add value in your case and include others that provide information you will find helpful in making a decision.
Questions for a Seattle Divorce Lawyer About Background & Experience
Background and experience matter because they let you know how qualified an attorney is to handle your case. Ask questions such as these:
- What is your educational background?
- How many years have you been practicing divorce law?
- What experience have you had with cases like mine?
- Are you a member of any professional organizations?
Questions About Case Assessment
After the lawyer gathers details about your case, he should be prepared to answer questions about how he’d handle your case under Seattle divorce law. Ask questions including:
- What strategy would you suggest for my case?
- What are the potential outcomes?
- What about my case works in my favor or against me?
- What are the stages my case will follow and what happens in each stage?
Questions About Case Management
It’s important to know who will be working on your case and how you and your Seattle divorce lawyer will communicate. Find out through questions like these:
- Who will be managing my case, and who will be working on it?
- What is each person responsible for?
- Who will make any court appearances required for my case?
- What are the best way and the best time to reach you?
- How long should I expect to wait for a response?
- How frequently will you update me on my case, and what kind of information is included in those updates?
Questions About the Seattle Divorce Lawyer’s Legal Fees
You should understand how much your divorce will cost and when you’ll have to pay. Be sure to ask:
- What is your fee structure?
- What is an estimate of how much I will pay in fees?
- What expenses aren’t included in the fee?
- About how much should I expect to pay for those expenses?
- How frequently will you be sending me a bill?
Deciding on a Seattle Divorce Attorney
After each attorney you’re considering has answered your questions, it’s time for you to make your decision. Look over all of the responses and determine which lawyer makes you feel most confident and most comfortable. If you approve of how that lawyer would handle your case and are satisfied with his fee, your decision process will be an easy one. If it’s not that clear-cut, consider making a list of pros and cons. In addition, feel free to request references from the attorneys.
All of the information you gather will help you make a smart decision and achieve the best result from your Seattle divorce.