Questions to Ask When Interviewing Philadelphia Divorce Lawyers
Whether you are thinking about filing for divorce in Philadelphia or your spouse has made a Philadelphia divorce filing, you have many things to consider and a lot of questions you need answers to. Experienced Philadelphia divorce lawyers can help you get financial and custodial agreements that are as fair as possible. There are many questions you should ask to make sure you find the right family law attorney to help you with your divorce proceeding.
Divorce can be a very emotional process, and you can take many different approaches to the process and dealing with your ex. When you are ending your marriage, you need an attorney who understands how you want to handle things. Finding a Philadelphia divorce attorney you trust and are comfortable with is very important.
The initial consultation will be your chance to discuss your case with a Philadelphia divorce lawyer. This first meeting gives you the opportunity to explain your situation, get an impression of the lawyer, find answers to your questions about Pennsylvania divorce law and decide whether you want the attorney to represent you in your divorce.
Meeting with Philadelphia Divorce Lawyers
Have a list of questions ready before your initial consultation, and be ready to take notes so you can refer back to what was said and record your impressions. This article suggests dozens of questions. Pick the ones that will best help you decide which lawyer to hire.
Background and Experience:
- When did you begin practicing law?
- How many divorce cases have you handled?
- Do you focus on only family law, or do you practice other areas of law?
- Will you handle my case, or will someone else at the law firm do it?
- Do you belong to the Philadelphia Bar Association or any other bar associations and professional groups?
- What is the best way to contact you, and how quickly do you usually respond?
Tactics and Approaches:
- How long do you think my divorce proceeding will take?
- How often will I get updates?
- Should I pursue an uncontested divorce in Philadelphia?
- What approaches do you take in a divorce?
- If my spouse won’t cooperate with the divorce, how do you suggest we proceed?
- If my spouse may be hiding assets, what can we do?
Child Support, Child Custody and Alimony:
- If we have minor children, how much child support will I receive from my ex, or how much could I have to pay in child support?
- What type of child custody arrangements are available?
- Am I entitled to alimony, or what happens if my ex requests alimony?
Billing Arrangements and Rates:
- How do you bill, by the hour or on a flat-fee basis?
- If you bill by the hour, what is your hourly rate?
- How much do I need to pay up front?
- If you use a flat rate, what is the rate?
- Does that include filing fees, courts costs and any other expenses?
- Considering my specific situation, how much do you think my divorce proceeding could cost?
After the initial consultation, you need to ask yourself some questions.
- Did the Philadelphia divorce lawyer make you feel comfortable?
- Did the lawyer seem to understand you and your situation?
- Were the costs and fees reasonable?
If you are still not sure, contact references and talk to former clients to get a sense of the attorney’s style, approach and effectiveness.
No matter what the situation is, divorce is a difficult process, but using the right divorce attorney can make all the difference. There are a lot of Philadelphia divorce lawyers, and by asking a lot of questions you can find the right one for you.