Divorce in Oklahoma
Before filing for divorce in Oklahoma, you should hire a divorce attorney and familiarize yourself with the divorce process.
A divorce lawyer can:
- Help you understand the requirements for filing for divorce in Oklahoma
- Help you negotiate a divorce settlement with your spouse as well as a child custody agreement (if you have minor children
- Explain your rights and responsibilities when getting divorced
- Represent you before the Oklahoma District Court judge who is hearing your case
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Divorce Lawyer
Just as you wouldn't buy a home without seeing it in person, you should talk to a divorce lawyer before deciding to hire him or her. Divorce is a highly personal and sometimes emotional process, and you need to have trust and confidence in the lawyer handling your case.
Before making a hiring decision, talk to the lawyer on the phone or schedule an in-person meeting. Use this as your opportunity to find out more about the divorce lawyers you are considering and how they'd handle your case.
Questions to consider asking include:
- How long have you practiced family law in Oklahoma? Do you practice any other types of law?
- What kind of divorce settlement can I reasonably expect to receive?
- Do you see any potential problems with the divorce case?
- What kind of child custody arrangement would you recommend? How much can I expect to pay or receive in child support?
- What's your approach or philosophy when it comes to representing divorce clients?
- How do you charge for your services? Can you estimate my total bill, including legal fees and expenses?
Find & Hire a Local Oklahoma Divorce Attorney
Whether you live in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Norman or elsewhere in the state, Attorneys.com can connect you with family law lawyers in your area. Our service is fast, free and there's no obligation. Call us at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form on this page to get started.