Questions to Ask When Interviewing New York City Divorce Lawyers
Thinking about getting a divorce or going through a divorce is an emotional process, and you probably have a lot of things on your mind. Experienced New York City divorce lawyers can help you through the process, but you need to find the right lawyer for your situation. By asking a lot of questions, you can find a divorce lawyer in New York who can help you through the process and make sure you get what you are entitled to when your marriage ends.
An initial consultation is your chance to meet with a lawyer, explain your situation and help you decide whether you want to hire that lawyer. Under New York divorce law, there are different legal approaches and processes you and your soon to be ex can take, whether you are seeking a no-fault divorce or you are contesting the divorce proceedings.
You need to find an attorney who supports your approach and tactics, so it’s very important you find a lawyer who is not only experienced, but who you trust and who supports your goals in the proceedings.
Meeting with New York City Divorce Lawyers
You should come to the initial consultation with a list of questions. You should also be ready to take notes, so you can remember what was said and record your impressions.
Background and Experience:
- When did you begin practicing law?
- How many cases divorce cases in New York City have you handled?
- Do you focus exclusively on family law, or do you practice other areas of law, too?
- Will you handle my case, or will someone else at the law firm do it?
- Do you belong to the New York State Bar Association, the New York City Bar Association or any other bar associations and professional groups?
- What is the best way to contact you, and how quickly do you usually respond?
Tactics and Approaches:
- How long do you think my divorce proceeding will take?
- How often will I get updates?
- What approaches do you take in a divorce?
- If my ex won’t cooperate, how do you suggest we proceed?
- If my spouse may be hiding assets, what can we do?
Child Support, Child Custody and Alimony:
- If we have minor children, how much child support could I receive, or what may I have to pay in child support?
- What type of child custody arrangements are available?
- Am I entitled to alimony, or do you think my ex will request alimony?
Billing Arrangements and Rates:
- How do you bill, by the hour or on a flat-fee basis?
- If you bill by the hour, what is your hourly rate?
- How much do I need to pay up front?
- If you use a flat rate, what is the rate?
- Does that include filing fees, courts costs and any other expenses?
- Considering my specific situation, how much do you think my divorce proceeding could cost?
Now that you have some of your questions answered, you need to ask yourself some questions, too.
- Did you feel comfortable with the New York City divorce attorney?
- Did the lawyer seem to understand you and your situation?
- Were the costs and fees reasonable?
If you are still not sure, contact references or interview other New York City divorce lawyers.
Wherever you live, it can be hard to divorce and New York City is no different. You need to find a divorce lawyer you can trust. By asking the right questions, you can find the right one for you. Then, you can start moving on with the proceeding and get it all behind you.