Factors to Consider When Interviewing Kansas City Divorce Lawyers
If you’re contemplating divorce, you may already be considering Kansas City divorce lawyers. Divorce can be challenging and emotional, and it’s important to have an experienced attorney to guide you through the process.
Your lawyer will handle the legal aspects of your case, advise you of your options and help you choose the best course of action. You need to hire a Kansas City divorce attorney who is a good fit for you and your situation, and this article will help you decide which one to hire.
Characteristics of Kansas City Divorce Lawyers
You should keep several important factors in mind as you choose a divorce lawyer in Kansas City. Attorneys differ in many ways, and you need to find an attorney with qualities that match you and your situation.
First, consider an attorney’s experience. Look for an attorney who:
- Has a strong background as a divorce lawyer in Kansas City
- Is a member of the Missouri and Kansas City Bar Associations
- Is familiar with the court, judges, administration and opposing lawyers you may face
- Understands each legal issue in your divorce
Next, look at the attorney’s approach to your divorce. Consider the attorney’s:
- Explanation of your case and the issues involved
- Strategy for handling each issue, including the division of property, spousal support, and child custody and support, if you have a family
- Explanation of how the divorce moves ahead and your options along the way
It’s also important to understand how your lawyer is paid and what your divorce may cost. Most Kansas City divorce lawyers charge by the hour although some attorneys may charge a single flat fee. You should:
- Know the attorney’s rate or fee
- Get a realistic estimate of the total cost, including expenses
- Be able to afford the fee and expenses
Finally, consider your personal impression of the attorney. Look for a Kansas City divorce attorney who:
- Listens to your questions and concerns
- Understands your unique situation
- Explains the legal issues clearly
- Makes you feel comfortable
Finding & Hiring a Kansas City Divorce Attorney
There are several ways to find a lawyer. Your family and friends may have personal experience with Kansas City divorce lawyers and can offer recommendations.
You can also use Attorneys.com to find divorce lawyers in Avondale, Rolling Meadows and across the Kansas City area. Just fill out the form at Attorneys.com, or call 1-877-913-7222 to be connected with one or more Kansas City divorce lawyers.
The next step is to interview each attorney of interest. Your first meeting with a lawyer is called an initial consultation, and it’s your opportunity to get to know a lawyer and talk about your situation. The consultation is where you’ll learn if a lawyer meets the important qualifications and is a good match for you.
When you’re done interviewing each attorney on your list, review what you’ve learned and see which divorce lawyer in Kansas City best meets your needs. If you can’t decide, ask follow-up questions or get client references. Many attorneys will put you in touch with former clients so you can get a first-hand opinion of their services.
When you’re fully informed, choose the attorney with the right personal and professional qualities and proceed with your divorce.