Divorce in Iowa
Divorce is serious business. The agreement that you and your ex-spouse reach can have serious personal and financial ramifications for years to come. For this reason, it's critical that you each hire an experienced Iowa divorce attorney to guide you through the process. Divorce lawyers can also make it easier to negotiate a mutually agreeable divorce settlement if the two of you have difficulty communicating directly with one another.
Things to Consider When Hiring a Divorce Lawyer
Getting a divorce is more than just a straightforward legal transaction. It's highly personal and often emotionally charged. So you want to hire an Iowa divorce lawyer whose approach matches your attitude toward your divorce.
A take-no-prisoners attorney might not be the best match if you're hoping for an amicable split. And you probably don't need the most expensive divorce attorney in the state if you and your spouse have a relatively simple divorce with no children and few assets.
When hiring an divorce lawyer in Iowa, consider:
- Do you need an attorney to simply handle your divorce, or are there also child custody issues to resolve?
- What are your goals for the divorce (other than, of course, simply ending your marriage)? Alimony? To remain in your home? To have custody of your children?
- How much can you afford to pay a lawyer?
- Do you need an attorney with any specialized expertise, such as a lawyer experienced with same-sex divorces?
- Do you have any special requirements, such as an attorney who speaks a second language, has evening appointments available or a wheelchair accessible office?
Thinking through these issues will make it easier as you hire a family law attorney and as you prepare for your first meeting with the lawyer.
Find & Hire an Iowa Divorce Attorney
Call Attorneys.com at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page if you need help locating Iowa family law attorneys in your area. Our free service can quickly match you with experienced local Iowa divorce lawyers.