Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Winter Park Divorce Attorney
Orange County residents who want to dissolve their marriages should think about hiring a Winter Park divorce attorney. Winter Park divorce attorneys can consult with you about your divorce and provide you with a thorough case assessment. This assessment can help you better understand your divorce cases strengths and weaknesses.
A divorce lawyer will also help guide you throughout the divorce process. For this reason, it is important to find an attorney that meets the specific needs of your divorce case. For example, if you want to share custody of children with your spouse, it will be important for you to find an Orange County divorce attorney who understands child-custody issues.
A major component of the lawyer-screening process is the initial consultation. This is your opportunity to interview the professional about his or her background. Thats why, whether you live in Maitland, Goldenrod or Winter Park proper, you should come prepared with a list of questions when you meet with a lawyer for the first time.
Preparing to Meet with a Winter Park Divorce Attorney
As you prepare to meet with a lawyer, you should brainstorm a list of questions you want to ask him or her. You will want to definitely focus on the attorneys background, including work experience and education.
If you are having difficulty coming up with questions on your own, here is a short list to help you get started:
- Where did you graduate from law school? How long ago did you graduate?
- Do you focus on divorce cases? How many divorce cases do you handle in a typical year? How many divorce cases are you overseeing right now?
- Do you have any experience working on cases that involve child-custody issues?
- What else should I know about your past work experience that you havent told me?
Conducting the Consultation
After you go through all your background questions, you will want to ask the Winter Park divorce attorney about your case. The purpose of this is to get an assessment to better understand whether the divorce will likely go in your favor, how long the divorce process might take, and how much it could cost you.
Before the lawyer can make an accurate assessment, you will have to provide some key documentation to better inform him or her of your marriage. Things like proof of property ownership and debts are important to bring in, as are any financial records, such as tax returns or bank statements.
Once the attorney has reviewed the information you provide, you can begin asking questions about your case. The following are some questions you might want to consider asking:
- What do you think of my case? If you were the judge, how would you rule?
- How long do you think it will take to finalize my divorce? Is there anything we can do to finalize it faster?
- Do you think mediation or arbitration is a good idea for my case?
- How much do you charge? When should I pay you?
- Are you the person to contact if I have a question about my case? What is the best way to reach you?
Ending the Consultation
Before leaving the lawyers office, look at your list of questions to make sure you have asked all of them. If you are satisfied with the Winter Park divorce attorneys answers, then leave your contact information, including your phone number and e-mail address.
Connect with an Attorney nowCall 877.913.7222