Legal Professional?
Build Your Business

How to File for Divorce in Broward County

Filing for divorce in Broward County requires you to follow Florida law and to file papers in Broward County Circuit Court. Florida law uses the term dissolution for divorce. The technical legal term for what you do when divorcing your spouse is filing a petition for dissolution of marriage.

When you file for divorce, you must have a reason for doing so. This is called the grounds for divorce. A common ground for divorce in Broward county and other places in Florida is when the marriage is irretrievably broken. Other states use the term irreconcilable differences. This is a general catchall term meaning that you and spouse simply can't live together anymore and be married to one another. If the judge in Broward County determines that the marriage is irretrievably broken, then he or she will grant the divorce.

File for Divorce in Broward County

The first requirement to file for divorce in Broward County is that you or your spouse must have lived in Florida for six months prior to the filing for divorce. You can establish your Florida residence with a valid driver's license, a Florida voter's registration card or a valid Florida state identification card.

There are different types of dissolutions, including simplified dissolutions for marriage and regular dissolutions of marriage. An attorney from Broward County can help you decide which type of petition to file. You can file a simplified dissolution if you and your spouse have no children, agree how you will divide up assets and liabilities, and neither party is seeking financial support (called alimony) from the other. In other words, you can file for a simplified dissolution of divorce in Broward County if you and your spouse have no children and don't contest major issues.

Many divorces require a regular petition, not a simplified petition. If there is a child from the marriage, a judge may require you and your spouse to consult with a marriage counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, minister, priest, rabbi or any other person the court deems qualified to offer guidance to you or your spouse.

The divorce forms are available from the Broward County Circuit Court. When you file for divorce in Broward County you will need to provide your social security number, your spouse's social security number and the social security numbers of any minor children.

Obtaining an Attorney in Broward County

Remember the sports adage of "hometown advantage." This concept translates into the legal arena, too. Because you will file for your divorce in Broward County, you need an attorney familiar with the court rules and the judges in Broward County. Because you will file your petition for divorce in Broward County, you will want to obtain a lawyer based in Fort Lauderdale, Coral Springs, Pompano Gardens or another city in Broward County.