Divorce in Delaware
Don't go into your divorce unprepared. Getting divorced requires you and your spouse to deal with countless legal issues: How will you divide your property? Who's responsible for paying off any debt? Is one person entitled to alimony? How will child custody and visitation be handled? How much child support will you pay or receive? You and your spouse should each be represented by your own Delaware divorce attorney.
Together, you, your spouse and your Delaware divorce lawyers can help negotiate a mutually agreeable divorce settlement.
Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Divorce Attorney
Filing for a divorce in Delaware can be an emotional experience, and you should take some steps to ensure that you hire a divorce lawyer who can support you during the process. Most attorneys offer a free preliminary meeting (also called an initial consultation) to prospective clients.
Come to the meeting with a list of prepared questions to ask the divorce attorney. Focus on topics that help you decide whether to hire the lawyer.
Typical questions to ask a Delaware divorce lawyer include:
- How long have you been practicing family law in Delaware?
- Do you only represent clients who are getting a divorce and dealing with child custody and child support issues, or do you practice other types of law, too?
- What's your normal philosophy or approach to handling divorce cases?
- Do you have any specialized skills that would be to my benefit during my divorce?
- How much do you charge for your services?
- Can you estimate my total legal bill, including fees and expenses?
Find & Hire a Delaware Divorce Lawyer
You should find and hire a Delaware divorce attorney as soon as possible after deciding to get a divorce--even before you tell your spouse, if possible. If you need help locating family law attorneys in your area, you've come to the right website. Use our free service to get quickly connected with local divorce lawyers.
Simply complete the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222. After you answer a few simple questions, we'll promptly match you with Delaware family law lawyers in your area.