Legal Professional?
Build Your Business

How Do I Know If I Have Suffered From Employment Discrimination?

Discrimination can come in many subtle forms. It may be that a manager says a racial slur that is aimed at you, or it may be that you are denied a salary increase due to your sexual orientation, age, religious background or ethnicity. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission offers a full listing of the forms of discrimination that a person can experience in the workplace. When you think that you have suffered from discrimination in the workplace, your gut instincts are probably correct. Speak with an employment discrimination lawyer who will determine whether your case of discrimination meets the legal definition put forth in employment discrimination laws.

Forms Of Discrimination

A person may suffer from discrimination if an employer does not provide adequate resources for him or her. For example, an employer has an obligation to meet the needs of a disabled person unless doing so causes undue hardship. One can also experience discrimination if he or she is treated unfairly due to a disability that lasts six months or less. An employer may also not favor a younger employee over an older employee. This is referred to as age discrimination. Another example of discrimination is when an employer gives fewer job assignments to a gay person than the other individuals in the office. This would be a form of sex discrimination. In the following work situations, an employer may be held liable for being discriminatory:

  • Providing job assignments
  • Hiring new individuals
  • Firing employees
  • Giving promotions to employees
  • Laying off employees
  • Providing fringe benefits to certain employees

Deal With Your Employment Discrimination Case

When you feel that you have been denied fringe benefits or a promotion due to your age, sexual orientation or other characteristic, then you likely have a discrimination claim. You can call an employment discrimination lawyer to find out more about how to file a claim with your local EEOC office. You will then negotiate a settlement outside of court or bring the case to trial, depending on the cooperation of your employer.