Factors to Consider When Hiring a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
Whether you have been charged with a crime or might be charged with one, you should be looking for the right Los Angeles criminal defense attorney to represent you as soon as possible. When facing fines or jail time, you need a lawyer with experience and knowledge. He can give you legal guidance and offer you sound advice. This article will help you find the right lawyer to serve as your advocate in court and make sure you get the best possible outcome.
Your lawyer will be able to help you through your California criminal defense. If you know of anyone who has been charged with a misdemeanor or felony in Los Angeles, ask them for references. Would they recommend the criminal defense lawyer they hired? You can also find the names of attorneys through a website like Attorneys.com. By filling out a form on this site or calling 1-877-913-7222 and answering a few simple questions, you will soon have the name of one or more California criminal defense attorneys. You can contact them at your convenience, or they will reach out to you within two business days.
Hiring a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
Next, you should set up an initial consultation. This first meeting is your chance to explain your case to the lawyer and see whether he can represent you. You will also be able to size up the lawyer and decide if this is the right person to work with you. You will need to consider many different factors when deciding which Los Angeles criminal defense attorney should represent you.
In something as important as a criminal defense, you will want to hire a lawyer who has a great deal of experience in criminal matters:
- Has the lawyer represented clients who have faced similar criminal charges?
- Does the lawyer understand the specific legal issues you face?
Type and Amount of Fees
Different Los Angeles criminal lawyers will charge different rates and different types of legal fees. Before you hire an attorney, you need to understand how he bills and how much he is likely to cost.
- Are the attorney’s fees affordable?
- Do the fees seem reasonable for your type of criminal defense?
- Are court costs and filing fees included, or will you be billed separately for those?
- Can the Los Angeles criminal defense attorney give you a cost estimate for your entire matter?
Strategy and Options
You and the lawyer you choose need to be in sync about your legal strategy.
- Consider whether you agree with the strategies that the attorney suggests.
- Ask yourself if those strategies seem reasonable or realistic for your criminal defense.
- Be sure the lawyer has explained the potential outcomes for your case, and what the consequences of each outcome mean to you.
Your Gut Feeling
Your lawyer will serve as your counselor and advocate throughout your defense, which could last a long time. Your lawyer needs to be motivated to really help you, not just punch a clock and send you a bill. So, you need to choose a lawyer you trust and you can work with. Ask yourself:
- How comfortable are you with the lawyer?
- Was lawyer patient with you? Did he explain everything so you understood the complex legal concepts?
- How much do you trust the lawyer’s information and advice?
Choosing an L.A. Criminal Lawyer
After the initial consultation, take some time to think about how you felt about the Los Angeles criminal defense attorney. If you still are not sure whether this is the attorney you want to hire, talk to his references. Then, you can pick the Los Angeles criminal defense attorney to represent you in court.
Connect with an Attorney nowCall 877.913.7222