Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Class Actions in Nebraska
If many people have similar claims against a company and it is impractical for each person to sue individually, then one person may file a class action lawsuit on behalf of all similar plaintiffs. The lawsuit may be filed in federal court, Nebraska court or another state's court. Contact a class action attorney today if you think you have grounds for a class action.
Class action lawsuits can be used to resolve a variety of types of civil disputes. Among the most common:
- False or misleading advertising
- Environmental toxic torts
- Labor and employment issues
- Defective drugs, defective medical devices and other products liability cases
- Securities fraud
- Misleading or erroneous fees
Participating in a Class Action
As a plaintiff, there are two ways to participate in a class action lawsuit.
If you originally filed the lawsuit, the Nebraska court may appoint you to serve as the representative party, whose claim forms the basis of the case that is tried in court.
A much more common way to participate in a class action is simply by being a member of the class, or group of plaintiffs. In most instances, you won't have to go to court or testify. At some point in the process, you'll be given a choice:
- You may remain a part of the class and file a claim for compensation, if the lawsuit is resolved in favor of the plaintiffs
- Or, you may opt out of the class action, which allows you to reserve the right to file your own lawsuit against the company
If you choose to do nothing, then you lose both your right to file a claim for compensation as well as your right to file your own lawsuit. If you're having difficulty deciding which choice is right for you, talk to a class action lawyer to better understand the pros and cons of each option.
Find & Hire Local Nebraska Class Actions Attorneys
Attorneys.com's free lawyer referral service can help you locate class action lawyers across Nebraska, including attorneys in Omaha, Lincoln and Bellevue. Complete the form on this page to get connected with an attorney today, or call us at 877-913-7222.