Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Class Actions in Mississippi
In many states, consumers who have been wronged by a company can file a class action lawsuit to collectively resolve their legal disputes. Class action lawsuits are also heard in federal courts. Mississippi and Virginia are the only states that do not recognize class actions. However, residents who have claims against a company do have some alternatives.
What Is a Class Action?
Class actions allow many people who have similar or identical disputes against a company to resolve their claims in a single lawsuit. Before a federal or state court approves, or certifies a class action, it will determine whether the lawsuit meets the requirements of a class action. These requirements typically include:
- A group of plaintiffs so large that it would be impractical for them to all appear in court
- Each plaintiff has a similar or identical dispute against the defendant
- The lead plaintiff has a typical claim that is representative of the other plaintiffs in the class
Because Mississippi courts don't allow class action lawsuits, residents have a few options:
- You may be able to file a class action lawsuit in federal court or in another state's court
- If it is cost-effective, you can file an individual lawsuit against the company in Mississippi court
- If a class action has already been certified in another state, you may be able to join that class action
If you have a legal dispute with a company, talk to a class action lawyer today. Your attorney can help you determine whether you have grounds for a class action lawsuit, or help you understand your other legal options.
Find & Hire Local Mississippi Class Actions Attorneys
Although class action lawsuits aren't recognized by Mississippi courts, there are class action lawyers who practice in Mississippi. For help locating a lawyer in your area, call Attorneys.com at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form on this page.