Class Actions in Maryland
Sometimes a lawsuit is the only way to resolve a dispute with a company that's wronged you. But what do you do when it's not cost-effective or efficient? Often a class action lawsuit (filed in federal court, Maryland court or another state's court) may be the best option. Talk to a class action lawyer today to learn if your dispute would be best resolved through a class action.
What Is a Consumer Class Action?
A class action is a type of lawsuit where the many people who have similar or identical disputes against a company have their claims resolved through a single court case.
To qualify, or be certified as a class action, several conditions must be met:
- There must be too many plaintiffs (or wronged parties) to the disputes to be resolved individually
- The plaintiffs must have similar claims
- One or several representative parties must have claims that are typical of other members of the class, or group of plaintiffs
- And the representative parties must be able to fairly represent the class and protect their interests
Class actions offer several advantages to the plaintiffs. They are a cost-effective way of resolving legal claims. And a class action allows dozens, hundreds or thousands of claims to be resolved more quickly than if each plaintiff's claim was heard separately.
There are several types of disputes that are commonly resolved through class actions. These include:
- Defective products, including defective medical devices and defective drugs
- False and misleading advertising
- Bank fraud and issues related to undisclosed or misleading fees and financial penalties
- Products liability claims
- Environmental toxic torts
- Securities fraud
- Labor and employment issues
Find & Hire Local Maryland Class Actions Attorneys
Whether you live in Baltimore or Columbia, Germantown or Silver Spring, or elsewhere in Maryland, Attorneys.com can quickly connect you with class action lawyers in your area. To use our free, no-obligation lawyer referral service, call us at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form on this page.