Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Class Actions in Maine
It's not always practical to file a lawsuit against a company that's wronged you. Perhaps you'd pay more in legal fees than you could ever hope to recoup in compensation if you win your case. Or maybe there are so many people filing similar or identical claims against the defendant that it could be years before the court hears your case. In those instances, a class action lawsuit (filed in federal court, Maine court or another state's court) may be the best way to efficiently, cost effectively resolve the disputes. Talk to a class action attorney today if you think you have grounds for a class action lawsuit.
Common Types of Class Actions
A class action lawsuit is a type of court case where many people's disputes against a company are resolved at a single trial. The court issues a verdict based on a representative case, and that verdict applies to all of the affected parties.
Under Maine court rules, a case may be certified (or allowed to proceed) as a class action if, "(1) the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable, (2) there are questions of law or fact common to the class, (3) the claims or defenses of the representative parties are typical of the claims or defenses of the class, and (4) the representative parties will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the class."
There are several types of legal disputes that are commonly resolved through class action litigation. These include:
- Securities fraud, where a company's shareholders feel as if they've been misled by company management
- Labor and employment issues, particularly when many employees of a company feel as if they've been discriminated against, undercompensated or otherwise been treated unfairly
- Environmental toxic tort cases, including incidents where a company has knowingly polluted an area, causing residents to develop serious health conditions
- Defective drug and medical device cases, where many patients have suffered serious injuries or adverse reactions to medicine or a medical device
- Bank and credit card fraud, including situations where customers have been charged erroneous or undisclosed fees
- Products liability cases, where consumers have purchased defective products
- False and misleading advertising cases, where consumers have purchased products that promise to deliver a particular result
Find & Hire Local Maine Class Actions Attorneys
Do you need help locating a class action lawyer in Portland, Bangor, Lewiston or elsewhere in Maine? You've come to the right website. Attorneys.com can help you quickly find class action lawyers in your area. To use our free lawyer referral service, call us at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page today.