Class Actions in Kansas
When many people have similar legal claims against a company, it can be impractical for every dispute to be resolved through a separate lawsuit. Instead, one or several plaintiffs may sue the company on behalf of all affected parties through what's known as a class action lawsuit. If you've been wronged by a company and think that others have, too, talk to a class action attorney today. A lawyer can help assess whether it is practical to file a class action lawsuit in Kansas court, federal court or another state's court.
Four Reasons to Hire a Class Action Lawyer
Not every attorney has the experience and qualifications to represent plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit. That's because class actions require some specialized expertise and coordination. In fact, many class action lawyers may only work on particular types of class actions, such as:
- Employment law class actions
- Class actions related to false or misleading advertising
- Securities fraud class actions
- Defective drug and medical device class actions
- Environmental toxic tort class actions
So when should you hire a class action lawyer and when does it make sense to hire a lawyer to pursue independent legal action against a company?
The Kansas Rules of Civil Procedure list four requirements that a case must meet to be certified as a class action:
- The class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable, meaning that it would be difficult to name every plaintiff and have them all appear in and testify before the court
- There are questions of law or fact common to the class, in other words, all of the plaintiffs have similar or identical claims against the defendant
- The claims or defenses of the representative parties are typical of the claims or defenses of the class, so the court can hear one "typical" claim that is similar to the experiences of other class members
- The representative parties will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the class
If you've been wronged by a company and think it may meet these legal requirements, then talk to a local class action attorney today. The lawyer can assess your case and determine whether other class actions have already been filed against the defendants.
Find & Hire Local Kansas Class Actions Attorneys
If you live in Kansas City, Wichita, Overland Park or elsewhere in the state, Attorneys.com can help connect you with class action lawyers in your area. To use our free, no-obligation lawyer referral service, fill out the form on this page or call us today at 877-913-7222. We'll ask you a few simple questions then quickly match you with a local lawyer.