Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Class Actions in Connecticut
If a company has wronged you—you've been defrauded, bought a defective product or used a drug that caused unexpected side effects—you may be entitled to compensation under various federal and Connecticut laws. But it's not always cost effective to file a lawsuit, and litigation can often drag on for years. If that's the case, a class action lawsuit may be the answer. Talk to a class action attorney to better understand whether you have the basis for a class action lawsuit.
Understanding Class Actions
What exactly is a class action, you may be asking yourself? Good question! A class action is:
- A type of civil lawsuit filed in federal court, Connecticut or another state's court
- Filed on behalf of many plaintiffs (also known as the class) who have been similarly wronged by one or several defendants
- A judge decides whether to certify the class action,i.e., allow it to proceed
- If a class action is certified, then one plaintiff will be selected as the lead plaintiff (also known as a class representative, named plaintiff or representative plaintiff)
- The lead plaintiff's case is litigated in court on behalf of the class.
- If the plaintiffs win the case, the award is split among all of the plaintiffs.
- Class action attorneys are typically paid a percentage of any money awarded to the plaintiffs.
Class action litigation is common in cases involving defective drugs and medical devices, other types of defective products, securities fraud and false or misleading advertising.
If you are a member of a class, once a judgment or settlement is reached, you can decide whether to file a claim for compensation or opt out. If you decide to opt you, you can hire an attorney and file an individual lawsuit against the company.
Find & Hire Local Connecticut Class Actions Attorneys
Whether you live in Bridgeport or New Haven, Hartford or elsewhere in Connecticut, Attorneys.com can quickly connect you with class action lawyers in your area. To use our free legal referral service, fill out the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222. We'll ask you a few simple questions, then match you with a local lawyer.