Questions to Ask When Hiring a Virginia Beach Custody Lawyer
Your Virginia Beach custody case may be the most important legal situation you are ever involved with. A custody arrangement can have a deep impact on you, your kids and your ex for years, so you will want to have the right lawyer on your side throughout the process. By asking a lot of questions during your first meeting, you can make sure you are hiring the person to help get the best possible custody arrangement.
How a Virginia Beach Custody Attorney Can Help
Your child custody case is a very personal thing. You probably have very specific arrangements you would like to see. Your kids’ ages can make a big difference in how you want to arrange custody, and so can your relationship with your ex.
You need to find a Virginia Beach custody attorney who understands your goals and can help you reach those goals. You also want a lawyer you are comfortable with and whom you trust. This may be a very emotional time for you, and you may need to rely on your attorney’s experience and strategies to help you focus on what is really in the best interests of your children.
Your chance to ask questions and get a sense of the lawyer is during the initial consultation. For this meeting, it may be helpful to write down a list of questions beforehand, so you don’t forget any. Also, bring a pen or pencil and paper, so you can take notes.
Questions to Ask During the Initial Consultation
Your questions should cover a wide range of topics.
- Where did you go to law school?
- How long have you been practicing law?
- How many custody cases have you been involved with in the Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and other Hampton Roads area courts?
- Do you generally practice family law, or do you practice in other areas, too?
- Are you involved with the Virginia Beach Bar Association, The Virginia Bar Association or any other legal or professional organizations?
- Can you talk about my case specifically before I hire you, or should we talk more generally?
- What are the different kinds of physical and legal custody in Virginia?
- What are the options for child custody for my kids?
- What will happen during the process?
- How long could it take before a judge approves a final arrangement in my Virginia Beach custody case?
How the Lawyer Will Handle Your Case
- Can you represent me?
- Who else at the law firm will work on my case?
- What will each person’s role be?
- Will you be with me in court and in any meetings with my ex, or will another lawyer be there?
- What’s the best way to reach you?
- How long will it take you to respond?
The Legal Bills
- What type of rate do you charge?
- How much is that rate?
- What is included in the rate and what’s extra?
- What could the total fee end up being for my child custody case?
The Attorney’s References
- Do you have the names of references I can talk to, once we are done meeting?
Selecting a Virginia Beach Child Custody Lawyer
After meeting with Virginia Beach child custody attorneys, think about how they made you feel. Ask yourself, who has the most experience? Whom do I feel comfortable with? Who seems to understand my situation and my approach? Who charges reasonable fees?
If you aren’t sure, follow up with the attorney’s references and ask them about their experiences. See what they liked about the attorney and what they didn’t like. Ask what they would have done differently if they could.
Don’t be nervous about asking a lot of questions when you are looking for an attorney for your Virginia Beach child custody case. It’s the best way to find the right attorney for you and your family.