Questions to Ask When Hiring a Cleveland Custody Lawyer
Child custody disputes can be painful and disruptive to the lives of parents and children. If custody of your child is an issue in your life, you need the assistance of a Cleveland custody lawyer.
A lawyer can help you secure your parental rights and obtain custody of a child in Cleveland. Because custody is such a personal issue, it’s important that you choose an attorney who understands your situation and can skillfully handle child custody rights in Cleveland.
The Initial Consultation With a Cleveland Custody Lawyer
An important step in choosing the right Cleveland custody lawyer is the initial consultation. The consultation is a meeting between you and a lawyer you may hire.
During the meeting, you will tell the lawyer about your situation and ask questions. To prepare, bring any relevant documents you have to the consultation, be ready to take notes and write a list of questions for the attorney before you meet.
The questions you ask during your consultation will help you choose the right Cleveland custody lawyer. This article suggests many of the important topics and questions you should consider, but this is not an exclusive list. Ask questions about the other topics that are important to you as well.
These questions are about the skills and legal training of a Cleveland custody lawyer. The answers will tell you if the attorney is qualified to pursue child custody rights in Cleveland.
- How long have you been a Cleveland custody lawyer?
- Where did you get your legal training?
- Do you practice exclusively in family law?
- Have you handled situations like mine before?
- Are you a member of the Ohio and Cuyahoga County Bar Associations?
- How well do you know the judges and staff of the Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court?
These questions concern how the attorney will approach your case. The answers will help you understand your legal options and decide if you agree with the approach.
- How do you normally approach cases involving custody of a child in Cleveland?
- Do you suggest the same strategy in my case?
- What are my other legal options?
- What are the possible outcomes of my case?
- How do those outcomes affect my child and me?
- Which factors work in my favor, and which work against me?
- What is the process for obtaining child custody rights in Cleveland?
- What happens at each stage of the process?
These questions are about how your case is handled on a daily basis. The answers will help you understand the process of obtaining child custody rights in Cleveland.
- Are you the attorney who will handle my case?
- Will you be representing me in court?
- Who else will be working on my case?
- What will each of them be doing for me?
- How often will you give me a progress update?
- Whom do I call with questions?
- How soon will I get a response?
These questions are about the cost of obtaining custody of a child in Cleveland. The answers will help you decide if the fees are reasonable and if you can afford the attorney.
- How much do you charge per hour?
- Are costs and expenses extra?
- Do I need to make a deposit or pay a retainer fee?
- What is your estimate of my total fees?
- How often do you bill?
- What type of payment do you accept?
- Do you offer payment terms?
Choosing a Cleveland Custody Lawyer
The answers to these questions will guide you to the right Cleveland custody lawyer for you. Use them to consider:
- Which attorney has the best experience with child custody rights in Cleveland?
- Which attorney suggested the most effective and most agreeable strategy?
- Which attorney had the most reasonable fees?
- Which attorney made you feel the most comfortable?
- Which attorney was the best match for you and your child?
If you have trouble deciding, contact the attorney again and ask additional questions or get client references. Use all the information you have to choose a Cleveland custody lawyer with the right qualifications to resolve your case.