Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Child Custody in New Mexico
Romantic relationships end, but a parent and child's relationship lasts a lifetime. If you and your child's other parent are splitting up, you'll need to reach agreement on several key parenting issues, including child custody, visitation and child support. If you don't see eye to eye, then a New Mexico Family Court judge will make decisions on your behalf. A child custody attorney can help you understand your legal rights and responsibilities, work to negotiate a parenting plan and represent you in court.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a New Mexico Child Custody Attorney
Resolving child custody issues can be an emotional process. Because it is such a personal issue, you want to hire a child custody lawyer who not only has the legal skills and experience, but also one who will make you feel comfortable and confident in the outcome.
Take some time to interview each family law attorney you're considering for the job. This interview—often called a preliminary consultation or initial consultation—is a get-to-know-you meeting where you can learn more about the attorney and decide whether to hire him or her.
Come to the meeting with a list of questions you'd like the attorney to ask. These might include:
- How long have you practiced child custody law in New Mexico?
- Do you only represent child custody clients, or do you also do divorce, child support and other family law work?
- What's your approach or philosophy when working on child custody cases?
- What's a likely outcome in my case?
- How much can I expect to receive in child support?
- How much do you charge for your services? Can you provide an estimate of my total legal bill?
Find & Hire Local Child Custody Lawyers in New Mexico
Whether you live in Albuquerque, Las Cruces or elsewhere in New Mexico, Attorneys.com can help you locate child custody attorneys in your area. Call us at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form on this page to quickly get connected with family law attorneys in your area today.