Questions to Ask When Interviewing Detroit Custody Attorneys
Child custody arrangements are very serious matters that can impact you and your children for years to come. You will need to talk to Detroit custody attorneys to find the right one to help you and your family get the best possible outcome. Asking a lot of questions will ensure that you find the attorney with the right experience, whom you trust and whose rates you can afford. This article will help you figure out which questions to ask when interviewing family law attorneys.
Meeting with Detroit Custody Attorneys
If you and your ex can’t agree on a Detroit custody arrangement, a judge will decide for you. If possible, you and your kids’ other parent need to come to an agreement before the court gets involved, and a lawyer can help you do that. If you and your ex can’t agree, you need an attorney who will work tirelessly on behalf of you and your children to make sure you get the best outcome.
Your initial consultation with an attorney will help you decide if this is the right person to hire. Come to the meeting with a list of questions, and be ready to write down information. There are several factors you should consider when talking to Detroit child custody attorneys.
Experience is critical. In custody disputes, a judge will award custody based on the best interests of your child or children.
Be sure to ask:
- Where did you go to law school, and how long ago did you graduate?
- How many child custody cases like mine have you handled?
- Do you focus exclusively on family law, or do you handle other types of cases?
A Detroit custody lawyer will probably not give you specific legal advice in your initial consultation, but you can talk about Michigan custody proceedings and your general situation:
- What are the steps involved in a Detroit child custody proceeding?
- Considering the ages of my children, my relationship with my spouse, our ability or inability to work together and other factors, what options exist for my child custody proceeding?
Attorneys have their own approaches to handling child custody cases. The size of the firm can make a difference, too. Be sure to ask about case management practices:
- Generally speaking, how do you prefer to approach child custody proceedings?
- If my spouse and I agree on most of the issues, what happens? If we can’t agree, what do you propose?
- Will you handle my divorce proceeding, or will another attorney assist?
- Can I meet the other attorneys who will be working on my case?
- Will you be with me in court or will another attorney appear?
You also need to work with an attorney who charges reasonable rates, so be sure to ask:
- What types of rates do you charge?
- What is your fee?
- How much will extra expenses, such as court costs, add up to?
- How much of a retainer will I have to pay when I hire you?
- How often do you bill?
- What types of payment do you accept?
By asking these questions, you should get a good sense of whether this is the right Detroit child custody lawyer for your case. If you still aren’t sure, you should follow up with the attorney’s references and ask them questions:
- What was your experience with this lawyer?
- What would you do differently?
- Is there anything I should know about?
Hiring Your Detroit Custody Attorney
In a family law matter, there are also intangible issues like trust and comfort. You will work closely with this attorney for a long time, and he will get to know you very well. You need to ask yourself, is this an attorney whose judgment I trust?
You will have a lot to think about when deciding which of the Detroit custody attorneys should represent you. Consider the strengths and weaknesses of each lawyer you met with, and then decide which is the best match. By asking the right questions, you can hire the best lawyer to help you with your child custody proceeding.