Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Maryland Child Custody
If you have minor children and are getting divorced or splitting up with your child's other parent, you may have to establish legal paternity, create a child custody and visitation plan, and get a child support order. You and your child's other parent should each be represented by your own child custody attorney. Lawyers can help parents negotiate with one another and represent you in Maryland Circuit Courts.
Things to Know About Child Custody & Visitation
Maryland parents who are no longer together will need to create a parenting plan that outlines their child custody arrangements. The parenting plan typically details:
- With which parent the child will live (this is known as physical custody)
- Which parent will have responsibility for making major life decisions on behalf of the child (this is known as legal custody)
- How parents will divide the child's holiday and vacation time
Under Maryland law, parents may have joint custody (meaning both parents share responsibilities) or sole custody (meaning one parent has all of the responsibility). If one parent has sole physical custody, the other parent will typically have visitation rights.
If parents-with the help of their child custody lawyers-cannot reach a custody decision, then the judge will make a custody decision based on the best interests of the child.
Both parents are bound by the parenting plan once it has been signed by the judge and filed with the court clerk. Changing the custody order will require one or both parents to show that there has been a major change in circumstances and that it is to the child's detriment if custody is not changed.
Things to Know About Child Support
In Maryland, child support is calculated based on:
- The number of children
- Whether custody is shared or if one parent has primary custody
- Each parent's income
- Whether either parent is paying child support for other children
- Whether alimony is being paid or received by either parent
- The cost of expenses for each child, including health insurance and medical, school, and transportation expenses
The court is allowed to deviate from the child support guidelines if the calculation is inappropriate in a particular case.
Find & Hire a Local Maryland Child Custody Lawyer
Whether you live in Baltimore, Columbia, Germantown or elsewhere in Maryland, Attorneys.com offers a free service that can connect you with child custody lawyers in your area. Complete the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222 to get matched with a local attorney today.