Child Custody in Maine
While a romantic relationship may come to an end, the parent-child relationship lasts a lifetime. If you and your child's other parent have split up, you'll have to reach some important decisions related to child custody, visitation and child support. Your Maine child custody attorneys can help guide you through the process and negotiate a custody agreement. If you're unable to reach a mutually agreeable child custody decision, then a Maine judge will make decisions for you.
Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Maine Child Custody Attorney
Before hiring a child custody lawyer, you should schedule a brief get-to-know-you meeting (also known as a preliminary or initial consultation) with the attorney you're considering for your case. This meeting, which is usually free of charge, allows you to tell the lawyer a bit about your situation while also deciding whether you want to hire the attorney.
Come to the meeting with a list of question you'd like the lawyer to answer. Typical questions to ask include:
- How long have you practiced child custody law in Maine?
- Does your law practice consist solely of representing divorce, child custody and child support clients, or do you practice other types of law as well?
- What are the possible outcomes in my situation? What is the most likely outcome?
- Can you describe your typical approach and philosophy when representing a parent in a child custody case?
- How much can I expect to receive or to pay in child support?
- Are you the only lawyer who will be handling my case, or will others in your office also work on it? Can you describe their backgrounds and introduce me to them?
- How do you charge for your services? Can you provide an estimate of my total bill, including legal fees and expenses?
Find & Hire Maine Child Custody Lawyers
When you're dealing with child custody issues, it pays to have an experienced Maine child custody lawyer by your side. And Attorneys.com can help you locate Maine family law attorneys in your area. Call us at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page to use our free service, which will quickly connect you with a local Maine child custody attorney.