Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
California Child Custody
If parents in California cannot reach a custody decision, then the judge will make a custody decision based on the best interests of the child.
In most cases, California courts prefer to have parents share custody unless shared custody would be harmful to the child.
Both parents are bound by the California court's child custody order once it has been signed by the judge and filed with the court clerk. Changing the custody order will require one or both parents to show that there has been a major change in circumstances and that it is to the child's detriment if custody is not changed.
A California child custody attorney can help represent you in court, help explain your legal options, and negtiate a child custody agreement.
In California, there are several ways to establish paternity of a child:
- Signing a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity
- Asking a local child support agency to establish parentage
- Going to court
California Child Support
California child support is calculated based on how much time each parent cares for the child and each parent's net disposable monthly income. The court is allowed to deviate from the child support guidelines if the calculation is inappropriate in a particular case.
In California, child support can also be adjusted based on a change in circumstances. These would include:
- A significant change in one parent's income
- A change in which parent the child spends more time with
- A change in the child's financial needs (such as extraordinary medical or educational expenses)
Once the divorce has been granted, child support payments that are processed through the Department of Child Support Services can be set up online, making the process more convenient for both parties. If payment of child support becomes a problem, the Department of Child Support Services is responsible for child support enforcement.
Additional California Custody Resources
- The California Department of Child Support Services' Child Support Handbook
- The California Department of Child Support Services' Guide to Establishing Paternity
- The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction & Enforcement Act
- Lawyers.com California divorce, alimony, child custody, and child support information