How to Find an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer
If you were seriously injured in an automobile accident, an Ohio car accident lawyer may be able to help you:
- Accurately estimate your accident-related expenses, including the cost of treating your injuries and repairing or replacing your car, as well as compensation for lost wages, and pain and suffering
- Collect and review evidence in an effort to establish which driver was at fault in the accident
- Attempt to negotiate a financial settlement with the driver at fault in the accident or with his or her insurance company
- Represent you in court, if litigation is necessary to resolve the dispute
Identifying Ohio Car Accident Lawyers
If you don't know of any lawyers who represent Ohio automobile accident victims, you'll want to get recommendations and suggestions.
Start by asking friends and family if they know anyone who's used an Ohio car accident lawyer in your area, and whether they'd recommend their lawyer. These personal recommendations can be invaluable.
Additionally, if you have a relationship with a lawyer in your area-even one who practices in a different area of the law-he or she may be able to suggest a personal injury attorney who represents car accident victims.
If you are unable to get personal recommendations or if you'd like additional names, then you've come to the right place. Attorneys.com offers a service that can connect you with Ohio automobile accident lawyers in your area.
To begin the process, call us at 1-877-913-7222 or complete the form on this site. We'll ask you a few basic questions, and then we'll give you the name of at least one lawyer in your area who works with car crash victims. You can contact the lawyer immediately, or the attorney will reach out to you within two business days.
Interviewing an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer
Before agreeing to hire an attorney, it's important to meet and interview the lawyer about his or her skills, experience, and legal fees. Most personal injury lawyers, including Ohio car accident attorneys, offer prospective clients a free initial consultation. This meeting lets you familiarize the lawyer with your case while you learn more about the lawyer's practice.
You'll want to spend some time preparing for an initial consultation. Make notes about your automobile accident, including:
- When the accident occurred
- Where the accident occurred
- Who was involved in the accident, and who witnessed it
- What chain of events led up to the automobile accident
- What injuries you suffered
- What damage your vehicle sustained
These written notes will help ensure you remember all relevant details when meeting with the lawyer. If you have any documents related to the car crash and your injuries (such as the police report or medical bills), bring copies of those to each initial consultation. The lawyer may also ask you to leave a copy with him or her, so don't bring the originals. (And only leave copies if you feel comfortable with the attorney and think there's a good chance you'll hire him or her.)
You should also prepare a list of written questions you'd like to ask during the meeting. Remember that one of the goals of the meeting is to decide whether you'd like to hire the attorney to represent you, so focus on questions that help you make this decision. Topics to discuss include:
- The lawyer's background, professional experience, and knowledge of Ohio automobile accident and personal injury laws
- The lawyer's suggested strategy for pursuing your case
- The lawyer's estimate of the value of your case
- The lawyer's proposed fees and estimated expenses
Meeting With an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer
Bring to each initial consultation your notes, accident-related documents, and list of questions you'd like to ask. It's also smart to bring some writing material, so you can write down your impressions during or immediately after the meeting. If you're meeting several Ohio car accident attorneys, these notes will come in useful when it's time to decide which one to hire.
Know that anything you tell the lawyer will remain confidential even if you decide to hire a different lawyer.
During the meeting, you want to think about whether:
- The attorney has the appropriate skills and experience to handle your automobile accident case
- The attorney proposes a case strategy you agree with
- The attorney suggests an award estimate that seems realistic
- The attorney's fees and expenses are fair and reasonable
- You feel as if you could trust the attorney's judgment and would be confortable following his or her advice
If you are happy with the results of the meeting, consider asking the lawyer for the name of at least one client who could provide a reference. If you have difficulty deciding between two attorneys, these references could help you make up your mind.
Selecting an Ohio Auto Accident Lawyer
After you've finished your initial consultations, it's time to decide which attorney you'd like to hire. If you immediately know which lawyer is right for your case, then your decision will be an easy one. If you are torn between two or more attorneys, think back to the criteria mentioned earlier:
- Case strategy
- Award estimate
- Legal fees and expenses
- Good judgment
You can add to that list of criteria any personal requirements, such as an attorney who speaks Spanish or one who offers weekend office hours.
Once you've found a lawyer who meets those criteria, you're ready to move ahead with your Ohio automobile accident case.