Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
North Dakota Auto Accidents
North Dakota's car accident lawyers stand ready, willing, and able to make the battery of seemingly endless phone calls required to prosecute and resolve complex insurance claims. These trained lawyers make sure that all necessary documentation and forms for insurance, medical, and legal purposes are completed accurately, thoroughly, and timely. An auto accident attorney can further assist you to obtain a copy of the police report for your wreck. At the end of the day, the primary focus of an injured party post-accident should remain fixated upon obtaining medical treatment and achieving a full physical recovery, not in talking to insurance agents or obtaining police records. These tedious and cumbersome tasks add unnecessary stress and burden to injured parties' lives and distract from recovery goals.
If you were involved in a car crash in North Dakota that was someone else's fault, you may be able to receive compensation for your damages, losses, and/or injuries, along these lines:
- Lost wages for time missed from work (including time spent going to doctors' appointments, physical therapy, and court appearances)
- Permanent disability and disfigurement damages
- Emotional distress damage
- Any lost future earning capacity because of the accident injuries
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle and any property that was damaged or destroyed in the accident, including personal property that was stored in your vehicle
- Costs or out-of-pocket expenses like towing and storage fees
- Cost of hiring help to do household chores (cleaning, lawn care, cooking, shopping, childcare, etc.) that you are no longer able to perform
- Past, present, and future bills for medical treatment
Are There Deadlines for Filing Accident Claims in North Dakota?
North Dakota's statute of limitations law affords injured accident victims two years from the date of an auto collision to file a claim against the at-fault driver. While there are some limited exceptions to this statutory deadline, time is certainly of the essence in making a personal injury and/or damaged property claim resulting from a North Dakota car accident. As such, it is wise to obtain prompt legal assistance from an accident attorney as soon after you have received medical treatment as possible. If you are not able to successfully negotiate a voluntary settlement with the other driver involved in the accident (or that driver's insurer), you and your North Dakota-based car accident lawyer should consider immediately filing suit. That lawsuit will most likely be filed in North Dakota state court. The suit must begin prior to the time that the statute of limitations ends and time runs out for asserting your injury claim.
Post-Accident Tips for North Dakota Injury Victims
North Dakota car accident victims often presume wrongly there is nothing they can do to improve their claims and/or better their situation after a crash. This is simply not true. North Dakota auto collision lawyers suggest several key tips injured victims should take to protect their legal rights after a wreck occurs:
- Do not speak to an insurance claims agent or adjuster. It is a smart idea to allow a car accident attorney to discuss and negotiate with auto insurance companies for you. Adjusters can ask leading questions and present waivers, releases, and confusing documentation that lessen or eliminate your right to receive compensation. Do not make a recorded or taped statement or sign any document until you have had the benefit of consultation with an attorney
- Talk to witnesses at the accident scene and take pictures of the scene and damage if you are able. Photographs are difficult to ignore and dispute, especially in mediation or as a visual aide at trial. Record names, addresses, and contact information for witnesses for future reference, especially in the event of litigation. Pay very close attention to statements made about speed, signals, swerving, right-of-way, stop signs, traffic lights, blind spots, aggressive and/or defensive driving, etc.
- Get prompt medical care. You have the right after a car crash to visit a doctor of your choice. Do not permit an auto insurance company to choose the doctor you will see. Follow your doctor's prescribed treatment regimen and keep detailed records of all medical treatment, prescriptions, and services received while under a doctor's care. It is a good idea to keep a timeline or log of all appointments, medications, treatments, hospitalizations, and visits.
- Consult with a North Dakota car collision lawyer immediately. It is a good idea to request an initial consultation with a North Dakota car accident attorney as soon after your crash as possible. You should do this only after proper medical treatment is obtained and completed. These lawyers can help you understand your rights and options, and can help protect your best legal interests after an accident.
Locate a Local North Dakota Auto Crash Attorney Today
A North Dakota car accident attorney can represent you in court proceedings, at both hearings and trials, and can examine and evaluate your unique case to assess possible bases for recovery and probable damages stemming from the car wreck. He or she can highlight strengths and weaknesses of your particular case and outline the likely timeline for negotiating or litigating your car collision injury or property damage claims. A North Dakota-based lawyer can assist you as you navigate the state's court system and best position your claim for maximum recovery. Call now to speak with a car accident lawyer in North Dakota at 877-913-7222.