Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Things to Consider When Hiring a Missouri Accident Attorney
Car accidents can cause physical injuries and damage one’s personal property. If you were injured in a car wreck because of someone else’s negligence, you need to hire a Missouri accident attorney.
Whether you live in bustling Kansas City or the small town of Theodosia, Missouri, the personal injury lawyer you ultimately hire should:
- Have experience litigating personal injury cases, in particular car acccidents
- Be able to assess the pros and cons of your case
- Manage and guide you through your lawsuit
This article will help you select the Missouri injury lawyer who does just that.
The first step toward hiring a lawyer who's right for you is to identify potential candidates. This can be done in a couple of ways:
- Ask friends, family members or business associates for referrals
- Visit Attorneys.com
When visiting our web site, all you have to do is answer a few questions to get the name and phone number of at least one attorney. If you prefer to speak to someone, call our toll-free number at 1-877-913-7222. Again, answer some questions and you will receive the contact information of at least one lawyer.
You can call the lawyer directly at your convenience, or the attorney will contact you within two business days.
After finding some possible lawyers, schedule meetings, called initial consultations, with each one. During this meeting you should question the lawyer to gauge if he is the right fit. The end goal of this meeting is to decide whether you want to hire the attorney.
Ask the lawyer about his experience and educational background. Make sure he defends people in personal injury cases. Explain your case to the lawyer and listen to his feedback. Understand all possible outcomes to your case. Learn how the lawyer charges for his services.
Get a feel for the lawyer and his work habits to see if you could work well with the lawyer. You may end up retaining him for awhile.
In addition, ask for a list of references. You may need a second opinion if you are having difficulty selecting a lawyer.
After meeting with a few Missouri accident attorneys, sit back and assess the strengths and weaknesses of each one before you make a hiring decision.
First look at the lawyer’s experience handling personal injury cases. Ask yourself:
- Has the lawyer handled car accident cases similar to mine?
- Does he understand the legal issues related to my case?
- Is the lawyer familiar with other players in the Missouri court system?
If the answer is yes to the above questions, you are on the right track toward finding the right Missouri accident attorney.
The Legal Strategy
Then look at how the lawyer wants to proceed with your case. Ask yourself:
- Do I agree with the lawyer’s proposed legal strategy?
- Is the legal strategy realistic?
- Do I know the potential outcomes to my case?
Reviewing the advice each lawyer provided you will help you determine which lawyer and legal strategy best jibes with your goals.
If you cannot sufficiently answer the above questions while reviewing each lawyer, call the lawyer back. If the lawyer returns your call in a timely manner and takes the time to answer your questions, he may be the lawyer for you.
The Billing Rates
Next look at how each lawyer charges for his services. Remember, most Missouri auto accident attorneys work on contingency. Some charge an hourly rate. In addition to a lawyer’s rate, you will be responsible for legal expenses. Look at the estimated cost of your case. Then ask yourself:
- Can I afford to proceed with my personal injury case?
- Are the lawyer’s rates reasonable?
- What extra fees and expenses do I have to pay for?
Asking yourself these questions will help you determine if you can afford to file a lawsuit.
The Intangible Factor
Lastly, gauge your comfort level with each lawyer you interviewed. You may be embroiled in a lawsuit for a long time, so you need to be comfortable with the lawyer you hire. Ask yourself:
- Did the lawyer explain all of the legal options to me?
- Did the lawyer address all of my concerns?
- Do I trust the information and legal advice the lawyer provided?
- Did I get a good feeling from the lawyer?
The Decision: Selecting & Hiring a Missouri Accident Attorney
After reviewing a lawyer’s experience, legal opinions and strategies surrounding your case, billing rates and then gauging your comfort level with the lawyer, select a lawyer.
If you’re still confused about whom to hire, call the references provided and ask for their input. Ask the references:
- Were you happy with the outcome of your case?
- What was your working relationship with the lawyer like?
- What the pros and cons of working with the lawyer?
- Would you hire the lawyer again?
You also can call the lawyers back if you have additional questions.
Then select the Missouri auto accident attorney who the best fits your needs and hire him.