Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Mississippi Auto Accidents
It is of chief importance to act quickly after you are injured in a car accident. You must promptly report the crash to police, emergency medical services, and all auto insurers. The faster you hire and consult with a car accident attorney in Mississippi, the more that attorney can offer in your case in its infancy stages. For instance, your attorney can act quickly to preserve the evidence at the accident scene, and can identify and assemble key eye witnesses and ascertain whether there are others to be contacted and interviewed. He or she can additionally hire independent investigators and experts to further assist with building your case. Further, your car accident attorney can take the lead in negotiations and settlement discussions with the insurance companies before significant costs and fees are spent by all parties.
If you suffer injuries in Mississippi due to an auto accident caused by another's fault, you may be able to receive compensation for your damages, losses, and/or injuries, along these lines:
- Past, present, and future bills for medical treatment related to your auto-accident injuries
- Emotional distress damages
- Permanent disability and disfigurement damages stemming from the auto accident
- Cost of hiring help to do household chores (cleaning, lawn care, cooking, shopping, childcare, etc.) that you are no longer able to perform due to your personal injury
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle and any property that was damaged or destroyed in the accident, such as personal property that was stored in your vehicle
- Costs or out-of-pocket expenses that you have incurred, for example towing and storage fees
- Lost wages for time missed from employment (including time spent going to doctors' appointments, physical therapy, and court appearances)
- Any lost future earning capacity because of your injuries.
Does Mississippi Have a Deadline for Filing Accident Claims?
Mississippi's statute of limitations law provides a personal injury victims three years from the date of an auto accident to file a claim against the driver at fault for the accident. Admittedly, there are some exceptions to this deadline. Still, time is of the essence in making a legal claim stemming from a car accident in Mississippi. Accordingly, it is smart to seek out prompt legal counsel from a car collision lawyer as soon after you have obtained medical treatment as possible. Any delays could hamper or prejudice your claims and interests significantly, or even fatally.
If you are not able to successfully negotiate a monetary settlement with the other driver (or that driver's auto insurance company) involved in your accident, then you and your Mississippi auto accident attorney should consider filing a civil lawsuit. That lawsuit will most likely be venued in Mississippi's state court system. Note that the lawsuit must begin before the statute of limitations period ends and time runs out for bringing your personal injury claim.
Key Questions to Ask in Screening Auto Accident Lawyers
When you are deciding upon a Mississippi-based attorney to handle your case, you might consider asking case-specific questions to guide you in making your decision and finding the proper legal fit. The attorney candidates you screen should be eager, willing, and able to address your questions to your full and complete satisfaction, as well as educate you on key issues surrounding your legal claim. Below are some questions you might consider asking as part of your auto collision attorney-screening process:
- Does the attorney candidate usually represent plaintiffs or defendants in auto accident and personal injury cases?
- Has the attorney candidate favorably settled a large number of cases on behalf of injured parties like you?
- Does the attorney candidate have experience successfully undertaking cases similar to your claim in facts and issues?
- Do former or current clients of the attorney candidate have positive statements or referrals to offer about their case experiences and relationship with the attorney?
- Does the attorney candidate practice auto accident law on a regular basis? If so, what percentage of his or her legal practice does it comprise?
- How long has the attorney candidate practiced in the area of auto accident or personal injury law?
- Does the attorney candidate have sufficient time, resources, and staff to undertake your case, given his or her current workload?
- Will the attorney candidate explain Mississippi's legal process and all aspects and intricacies of your auto accident injury and/or property damage claim(s)?
Locate a Local Mississippi Car Collision Lawyer Today
A Mississippi car accident attorney can represent you in court proceedings and can examine and evaluate your case to assess potential bases for recovery and probable damages stemming from the car wreck. He or she can highlight strengths and weaknesses of your accident injury case and outline the likely timeline for negotiating and/or litigating your claims. A Mississippi-based car collision lawyer can assist you in navigating the state's court system to best position your claim for maximum recovery. Call now to speak with an auto accident lawyer in Mississippi at 877-913-7222.