Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Colorado Auto Accidents
Colorado car collision lawyers are adept at making the seemingly endless number of phone calls required to prosecute and resolve serious and tedious insurance claims. These lawyers and their teams can ensure that necessary forms and paperwork for insurance, medical, and legal scenarios are completed accurately, thoroughly, and timely. An auto accident lawyer in Colorado can assist you in your efforts to obtain a copy of the police report for your accident. When a seriously injured party is focused on medical issues and recovery, talking to insurance adjusters and obtaining a police report copy are most likely not the top priorities and often seem to contribute to unnecessary stress.
What Damages Could a Car Accident Lawyer Help With?
If you suffer from injuries in Colorado because of a car accident that was caused by another’s fault, you may be able to receive monetary compensation for several kinds of damages, losses, and/or injuries, such as:
- Emotional distress damages stemming from the automobile accident
- Lost wages for time missed from employment (including time spent going to doctors' appointments, physical therapy, and court appearances)
- Any lost future earning capacity because of the automobile accident injuries
- Past, present, and future bills for medical treatment related to your auto-accident injuries
- Permanent disability and disfigurement damages stemming from the automobile accident
- The repair or replacement of your vehicle and any property that was damaged or destroyed in the accident, including personal property that was stored in your vehicle
- Any other costs or out-of-pocket expenses that you have incurred because of the automobile accident, such as towing and storage fees
- The cost of hiring help to do household chores (cleaning, lawn care, cooking, shopping, childcare, etc.) that you are no longer able to perform due to your personal injury
How Can a Colorado Auto Accident Lawyer Help?
According to their own policies and contracts, auto insurance companies are supposed to pay reasonable, fair compensation for injuries from collisions to their insured and other covered injured parties. Yet, this unfortunately may not happen in all cases. Colorado car collision attorneys who have experience negotiating and litigating auto accidents can maximize the recovery their clients achieve. These attorneys know Colorado laws on auto injuries, the seatbelt defense, the concepts of comparative fault and contributory negligence, how insurance coverage operates from the inside out, and how to effectively and persuasively use technical and complex litigation concepts such as accident reconstruction, biomechanics, and medical testimony at trial.
Deadlines for Making Car Accident Claims
Colorado's statute of limitations law gives injured victims three years from the date of an auto accident to file a personal injury claim against the driver at fault in the car accident. This is one year longer than the statute of limitations provided by many other states in the U.S.
Of course, there are some exceptions to this deadline. Because time is of the essence in making and asserting your personal injury and property claims in a Colorado car accident, it is wise to seek prompt counsel of a knowledgeable auto accident attorney as soon as possible. Admittedly, this legal consultation should only happen after you have received necessary medical treatment for your injuries after an accident.
If you and your Colorado auto collision lawyer are not able to negotiate an acceptable voluntary monetary settlement with the other driver (or that driver's insurance company), you and your attorney should give immediate and serious thought to filing a civil lawsuit in Colorado's state courts. That the civil suit must begin before the applicable statute of limitations terminates and time runs out for bringing your car accident personal injury claim.
What Is The Role of Negligence in an Auto Accident?
To collect a recovery from an auto accident claim, Colorado law requires you (or your car accident attorney) to prove the other driver was negligent in conduct. You must show the following items to assert and prevail in your Colorado-based auto accident claim:
- The driver who caused your injuries had a responsibility and legal duty to not injure you and failed to live up to that legal duty.
- There is a connection between the other driver's responsibility and your resulting personal injury.
- You suffered damages or a financial loss as a result of the automobile accident.
Locate a Local Colorado Car Accident Attorney Today
A Colorado auto accident attorney can represent you in court proceedings and can examine and evaluate your case and assess your potential bases for recovery and probable damages stemming from the car accident. He or she can likewise highlight strengths and weaknesses of your case and outline the likely timeline for negotiating and/or litigating your car accident personal injury claim. Call now to speak with an auto accident lawyer in Colorado at 877-913-7222.